Saturday, January 24, 2009

Steppin' it up

Today I spent some time screwing the floor to frame. I also bolted the outside c-channel to the floor and the stringers. I spent a bunch of time searching around the plant looking for bolts and nylon locking nuts for this application. I bought some floor bolts from Out of Doors mart when I purchased all the gasketing for the windows and doors. I only bought 20 bolts and was surprised how fast I used them up. I guess I will be ordering some more. After the floor was completely bolted down and secure, I started on the steps. The original stringers were toast and I was not exactly sure how the steps were supposed to operate, but I downloaded a drawing showing how it goes together. I cleaned the steps up as best I could before I installed them. I took a scotchbrite pad to the bare aluminum and it shined them up pretty good. When I got my parts from ODMRV I ordered some small springs that keep the step holder tight against the steps when they are in the up position. The springs are fairly small and were almost non-existent when I took the steps off the Airstream. Everything worked beautifully. It is so nice to have steps to get in and out of the RV. When I bought new axles, I ordered them at a 45 degree down angle so I would have more ground clearance. It now is quite a jump to get into the Airstream. The steps are awesome, and they are solid.

No comments: