Monday, August 10, 2009

I've got gas


I think we all know that I have gas, but what I meant to say was that I now got a new gasket on both the exterior door and the interior door. The old gasket on the exterior door did not come off very easy. Lacquer thinner does a good job of dissolving the old glue, but it took a lot of effort to get the gasket material and glue off. Since I could not remove the door and lay it horizontally, the thinner would just run down the door and not soak into the old glue and gasket. The windows were much easier, since I could remove them and lay them flat. After the door was cleaned up. I just had to put the new gasket on. This gasket, purchased from Out of doors Mart, had a peal and stick glue. I pulled off the red strip and ran the gasket all around the door. I trimmed it at the bottom and was done. This was much easier than the gasket on the windows because for them, I had to put glue on both the window and the gasket, wait 10 min and then install. I next turned to the foam gasket that goes around the screen door. Same process here. Cleaned up the old glue and used a peel and stick foam gasket to attach the new seal around the screen door. After this I decided to put some new screen material in the door. The old one was very worn and discollored. Fairly easy process here. Pulled out the cord that attached the screen to the door. One problem that I ran into was that the channel that the cord pushed into was smaller than the roller installation tool that I had. The door looks much better with the new screen material. I used the standard black plastic screen. I think it looks better and makes the windows look tinted.

No comments: