Friday, January 22, 2010

Fill the holes

Today I tore down the upper cabinet that was above the sink and contains the systems computer. As it turns out, the computer is not part of the upper cabinet. I secured it with a strap to the ceiling and drilled out all the rivets that held up the only remaining upper cabinet. I then removed the 2 plastic cabinets that were attached to the wall near the window, and the plastic spice rack that was next to it. I am close to paint, so I need to prep the interior. I have a bunch of holes in the ceiling and walls where the old cabinets were riveted to the interior skin. At first I was going to bondo the holes and then decided to just put a rivet in each hole. The interior skin has a bunch of rivets, so I figure that I would just put some more in. They look fine and after I paint, they will almost disappear and look perfectly normal in an Airstream. After I ran out of rivets I took out all the old window screens. The screen material is a tan color that looks old and crappy. I already replaced the screen material on the door. I took the screen material off and spray painted the frame with some aluminum color spray paint. When it dried, I thought it looked pretty good. I then took all the screens to the paint booth. I tried to clean the 2nd screen with lacquer thinner and it took off the tan paint. I then sanded the frame and it turned the same color as the painted screen. At this point, I deceided to sand all the paint off the frames and will leave the frames raw aluminum.

No comments: