Thursday, March 22, 2007

First Blog entry

Well its November of 08' and I'm finally going to blog my Airstream makeover. In the next few weeks I plan on documenting all of the work that I have done up to this point. After that, hopefully I can document the completion of this project.

I guess you ask.. "Why would E-Rock start a project like this?" Well, I guess I have to say that its for the family. When I was growing up our family went camping. We never went on fancy vacations to Disney or overseas. We were not rich or poor but my father worked for P&G. Have you ever met someone that worked there that was not cheep? My dad would take 2 weeks every summer to take the family camping. We went camping! Not in a fancy RV, but tent camping! Dad and Mom always said that if you had an RV, Popups or campers, you were not really camping. Jump to the future.

In 97' I was purchasing some equipment for my company and noticed that the dealer had a pop-up camper in the lot. My brother Mark was with me and we both decided on the spot to purchase the used pop-up. It was re-po'ed and we got a serious deal. We both figured that if our wives did not like camping, we could just sell it and still make a few bucks. As it turns out, both of our families like to go camping. My 2 boys can't get enough of camping. They love it. I like the pop-up a lot, but wanted something more. I have always liked the Airstreams. They are considered by everyone in the RV industry to be the best of the best. I like to have the best, so the search started for an Airstream. A new 31' Airstream starts around 80K. I love camping, but I'm not exaclty in a finincial position to spend that kind of money on something that we will use a handful of times a year. So that left me with the possibility of rehabing a used one.

My intention was to buy one, put in a new interior and use it. It has become a bigger project than I had ever imagined. I tear one thing out, just to find newer and bigger problems. Well at this point I'm completely gutted and the belly pan down. Not much more to tear apart. If I get some time, not likely with 2 young boys, I will update my progress as I go.

No comments: